Friday, January 20, 2012

A love letter to stretchy waistbands

This week, we went back to the doctor, I went back to prenatal yoga, and I got my first maternity clothing.

As you know, I was very anxious about buying maternity clothing, but, last week, I realized that I had no choice, unless I can figure out a way to go to work in my pajamas and/or foldover waist yoga pants.

So, I ordered a few pairs of pants from the Gap and Old Navy (they carry petite lengths!), a few blouses, a dress from Japanese Weekend, and then, some pants and a sweaterdress from Ann Taylor Loft. Internet shopping!

The pants were the first to arrive. I tried them on, and I almost cried.

For joy.

Stretch waistbands are the best thing ever.

Well, maybe that's an overstatement, but it feels true if you're 16 weeks pregnant, and all of a sudden, you have a giant tummy and no waist. I didn't know how uncomfortable my regular pants had gotten until I tried on the maternity pants. And they're not ugly. Win-win.

Now if I could only find a maternity sports bra for prenatal yoga. . .

3 comments:

  1. I totally felt the same way you did about maternity pants. Especially my full-panel maternity jeans, no lie. And don't be afraid to check out Destination Maternity, Peapod, or Motherhood for a sports bra. 

    ReplyDelete
  2. This weekend, we went to the Motherhood outlet in Leesburg, which didn't have sports bras, but they did have regular maternity/nursing bras.  I bought two.  I also got a really neat set of maternity basics -- a matching ruched t-shirt, long sleeve shirt, cami, and yoga pants.

    The full panel pants that I bought are a little big in the tummy right now -- I'm certain Cletus will grow into them -- but the demi-panel ones are already perfect. 

    So far, my biggest problem is that only Gap seems to carry "petite" or "short" lengths in maternity jeans and pants, but some of the Old Navy and Ann Taylor Loft pants had a 31" inseam, which is a little long, but acceptable if I wear a small heel.  I guess I could get pants hemmed, but it seems a little ridiculous to pay a seamstress to hem pants that I might only wear until July.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree. I didn't see the point in spending more than I had to on maternity clothes. But each to her own, right? Some Macys also carry Motherhood and they do have sports bras. The outlet isn't much of a deal and the stuff is pretty inexpensive anyway. I'd probably go for the Gap for jeans/pants if I had to wear a heel for the others, if you can find what you need there. It says online that Motherhood carries petite (29.5 inch inseam), in case you want to check that out. 

    ReplyDelete